How to Become a Legal Medical Marijuana Patient in Connecticut: 3 Easy Steps!

Step 1: Qualifying Conditions

In Connecticut, there are predetermined debilitating medical conditions which decide if an individual is eligible to register with the Department of Consumer Protection for a medical marijuana certificate. State Law requires the individual to be at least 18 years of age for standard qualifications to apply, although an alternate list of debilitating illnesses exists for those under 18 years old. You must also be a resident currently living in Connecticut, and not under supervision of the Connecticut Department of Corrections (i.e. in jail or on parole).
For a full list of qualifying debilitating medical conditions, visit the DCP website here.
The most prominent qualifying condition listed is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD, which is a Trauma and Stressor related disorder. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, or DSM, is a collaborative effort by healthcare professionals in the United States that sets criteria for defining and diagnosing mental disorders. The DSM-5, most recently revised in 2013, has multiple criterion for PTSD. Most commonly, a traumatic event in the past, also called a stressor, will be the cause of symptoms. The DSM-5 defines the criterion categories which include direct exposure to death, serious injury, or sexual violence, intrusion symptoms, persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the stressor, negative impact on cognition associated with traumatic event, and intrusion.
To learn more about PTSD, you can visit the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs website here (you’ll notice there is no mention of medical marijuana anywhere). A more detailed explanation of changes in the DSM-5 and qualifying conditions can be seen in this presentation from the National Center for PTSD, beginning on slide 7.


A marijuana doctor will work with you to help treat symptoms with the use of medical marijuana.

Step 2: Consult a Marijuana Doctor

If you have a qualifying debilitating medical condition, you may consult a qualified doctor and discuss possible treatment options with medical marijuana. The PotSpotCT Map has many Marijuana Doctors listed as references.
Once you meet with a doctor, they may determine that medical marijuana is an acceptable form of treatment. From here, they will determine what amount of marijuana you will be prescribed monthly. Currently, the maximum amount in Connecticut is 2.5 ounces, measured on a flower conversion scale (meaning that edibles, concentrates, sublinguals, etc, are measured in their dry herb equivalent).
Your doctor will initiate the DCP registration process by entering you into the system by email. Once you receive the confirmation, which is usually within a few hours after initial entry, you can complete the process independently.
Make sure to schedule a renewal appointment with your Marijuana Doctor, for the period is only valid for one year at a time!


Submit your application to the CT Department of Consumer Protection and be on your way to receiving your MMP registration certificate!

Step 3: Register with Connecticut DCP

After your doctor has initiated the registration process, and you have received a confirmation email from the DCP, there are only a few remaining steps.
Basic information, such as name, date of birth, address, email, and telephone number are required. Additionally, two forms of identification and proof of residence will be required, such as a driver’s license, social security card, or W-2 tax form, and submitted electronically. You will also need to submit a passport photo to be used on your Medical Marijuana Program (MMP) registration certificate.
There is a nonrefundable fee of $150 to apply. Once all of the required information is submitted, there will be a 10-14 business day waiting period to determine approval status.
Lastly, you will be asked to choose from one of the nine dispensaries in Connecticut to make your home. As of now, each MMP Patient may only register with one dispensary. If you wish to change dispensaries, you must submit a Change of Dispensary Facility Form, found here.
Additional information on the DCP MMP can be found on their website.

That’s all folks! These resources are provided courtesy of PotSpotCT!

Categorized as Blog

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *